Ok, I stole this from Nichole´s blog because it was too cute not to post!
This is from our dinner together last week with the Pates! And I just found out they have had their trip extended a week in Dallas so there is a good chance we will get to all hang out again! (which will involve more blog postings and more photos!!)
Albert and some of his most fave people on the planet:
Now, speaking of Albert...here is a recap of my newest "I am moving to another continent drama".
This chapter is bigger than cardboard tampons and organic peanut butter.....it´s bigger than having to learn to ride a bike in a dress and heels.....and it´s even bigger than mastering the Danish language...because it is about my best boys, Albert and Emmitt.
ORIGINAL Calendar Recap- (note the word ORIGINAL!)
May 15, 2008 Emmitt flies to Denmark with Mads waiting on the other end
June 11, 2008 Mads arrives in Dallas to "fetch his bride"
June 17, 2008 Mads, Kelli and Albert leave Dallas for Herning, Denmark
June 18, 2008 Emmitt and Albert are reunited for our new life in DK and we all
live happily ever after!
Ok, so the ORIGINAL plan goes out the window as of 2 weeks ago. Mads and I booked our tickets for June 17....thinking everything was ready to go. I had all my "transporting your pet" forms downloaded, I had my excel spreadsheet of "things to do before I leave" printed and was marking off items such as "spend $800.00 at the vet to get Albert and Emmitt ready to enter the EU." In short, I was ready.
So on Saturday, March 1, I call the airlines to book Albert´s ticket to accompany us on June 17. The attendant on the phone gathers all my information such as Albert´s specs, the kennel dimensions, etc...and then he says the words that no woman taking 2 pets across the world wants to hear... "Uh, wait, there is a problem."
Long story short--federal regulations say that an animal cannot fly as cargo FROM TEXAS between the dates of June 1 and Sept 1 because they will not fly animals if the temp outside is 85 or higher. Well, in Texas, of course it is higher than 85 in June...so hence the reg.
So I ask the man what to do. He suggests sending Albert earlier (like when I was going to send Emmitt.) So I ask him what to do....
If I book a spot for them for May 15 and show up to send them, and it is 85 or higher, they send us home. CRAP! He said I really needed to shoot for a date in EARLY May or LATE April. Late April?? Is he freaking kidding?? As if! That would mean that Albert would be in DK almost 2 months before me! Not happening! Ok, keep reading....
So I talk to Mads last week to find out when a good time would be for me to ship them so that he does not have any out of town trips planned and we agree that Fri, May 2 is the best day for both our schedules. I am stressed and crying because that means that I will not have Albert or Emmitt for six weeks before I move, but I realize I have no way around this. But we agree on May 2...so I plan to call the airlines this weekend to book it.
Ok, Saturday, March 8, I call KLM-Northwest to book it and I am told that they cannot fly alone unless it is a direct flight. WHAT??? The man last week never mentioned that! The attendant told me my best bet was to use an International Pet Transporter. She gave me the info but instead I called American Airlines first. They agreed to ship them, but they said that they would not know the location of the connecting flight until the day of the flight. Could be Amsterdam, or Germany or Poland, or whatever! They would tell me that day where they were sending them . I would basically load them on a plane for Europe, not knowing who would receive them on the other end. They also could not tell me how long the layover would be because it just depended on the cargo routes for that day.. So my dog and cat could be sitting in freaking Warsaw for hours on end awaiting transport to Denmark??!! And the price was 300.00 per animal. Ok, stress level rising and then the lady at American Airlines told me I should really consider an International Pet Transporter...ok, ok, I got the message.
So I went to the website they gave me. There are seven of these in Texas and their process sounded great. So I entered all the data for Albert and Emmitt and hit SUBMIT with the guarantee of getting a quote within the hour...........
And the quote came.
$1100.00 PER ANIMAL
So fast forward to me getting on Expedia...
and booking myself a ticket to Denmark on April 24 WITH Albert and Emmitt..
Price 700 for me, 150 for each of them. So all three of us together is less than one on the Pet Transporter!
We leave Thursday afternoon, arrive Friday morning, have three days together in Herning so they know I am not just shipping them off...they get used to the house with me there and then 3 days later, on Monday, April 28, I fly back to Dallas.
Sounds simple enough, right?
Now, fast forward to Monday, April 28 at about 10pm as I crawl into bed, alone. No Albert, No Emmitt. And we do not see each other for 7 1/2 weeks.
I think you get the picture.