(image borrowed from Expat in Denmark)
This map represents the latest proposal of Dansk Folkeparti; the "OK" stamp is given to those countries that DF says it is ok to immigrate to Denmark FROM.... the "Do Not Enter" stamp is given to those places that DF wants to BLOCK from entry to Denmark. In a nutshell-- this map says that those from non-Western countries should not be allowed to immigrate to Denmark.
Peter Skaarup, the immigration spokesman for DF (OMG, they have an IMMIGRATION SPOKESMAN??!!) said that this proposal is necessary to the survival of the welfare state in Denmark because (to paraphrase him), "the immigrants from non-Western countries are a drain on society because they do not pay taxes; they only receive social benefits."
Is he serious? So the doctor I personally know from India, who is working at one of the larger hospitals in DK, is a DRAIN on the society?????? And she is NOT contributing to the society? Again, is he serious?
So many expats that I know work really hard to dispel the "myths" that DK is a xenophobic country.... we tell stories to our friends and family about ways we are accepted (although it is in a different way than in our home countries) and we tell stories about the GOOD that we are finding in DK in our everyday lives. Then people like the IMMIGRATION SPOKESMAN for DK opens his mouth and basically UNDOES every good thing we have told. In a matter of one speech filled with hatred and racism, he mars the good images that we have worked so hard to create.
This blog post is not to gripe about the DF. God, if that was the purpose of the blog, I would never stop typing... LOL
This blog post is to REITERATE the following that I have said all along:
- NOT ALL DANES ARE LIKE THOSE IN THE DANSK FOLKEPARTI.
- NOT ALL DANES BELIEVE THE BULLSHIT THAT SPEWS FROM DF's MOUTHS; IN FACT MANY ARE EMBARRASSED WHEN DF SPEAKS AND CLAIMS TO REPRESENT "THE DANISH WAY".
- NOT ALL DANES HATE/FEAR FOREIGNERS.
- NOT ALL DANES WANT DENMARK TO BE 100% DANISH BECAUSE THEY SEE THE VALUE IN HAVING MULTICULTURAL INFLUENCES ON SOCIETY.
- And perhaps, most important: THE LARGE MAJORITY OF DANES THAT I MEET ARE VERY WELCOMING AND SUPPORTIVE OF ME AS A FOREIGNER. (And please do not say it is because I am from the west..... please.)