I have the privilege of introducing to you Helle Thorning-Schmidt, the new Prime Minister of Denmark. And may I also mention, she is the FIRST FEMALE Prime Minister of Denmark! She was chosen on Thursday, 15 September 2011 after more than 87% of eligible voters let their voices be heard!
There were so many articles and so many quotes on Friday morning announcing her victory, but some of the best came from the non-Danish papers as the world looked at Denmark on this very important day!
- "Make no mistake, today we've written history," she told her supporters as she declared victory.
- Immigration has also been a key issue, with Mrs Thorning-Schmidt proposing a more humane policy to replace the current restrictive rules introduced by the outgoing government and its main ally, the right-wing Dansk Folkeparti.
- The election of her left-leaning alliance ends 10 years of center-right rule. In the past decade, the Danish right and far-right pushed through tough anti-immigrant measures, but this time around, it looks like Denmark’s stagnant economy trumped all other concerns.
- Helle Thorning-Schmidt will become Denmark’s first female prime minister after promising voters more welfare spending in exchange for higher taxes.
- “Today is the day things change in Denmark,” Thorning- Schmidt, 44, said at a party rally in Copenhagen.
- During her campaign, this "red bloc" leader promised to raise taxes on Denmark's banks and its wealthiest citizens to pay for better schools and hospitals, and to finance a $4 billion expansion of what is already one of Europe's most generous welfare systems.
The SUN is shining in Denmark.... regardless of the weather report.